We have some galluptious¹ news: the digital edition of the Dictionary of American Regional English is now come-at-able² at www.daredictionary.com!
Rather than a mere online version of the beloved DARE books, the site is a powerful and dynamic platform that provides new content and facilitates research that simply wasn’t possible with the print volumes.
At daredictionary.com, users can:
- Search and browse DARE’s 60,000 entries
- Listen to clips from more than 5,000 audio recordings gathered by fieldworkers
- View nearly 3,000 maps showing the regional distribution of words
- Examine responses to the 1,600-question DARE survey administered 1965-1970
- Browse the bibliography of more than 12,000 published sources, dating from the 17th through the 21st century
- Share content via e-mail or social media
- Use My DARE to organize and save entries, survey questions, and custom searches
- Scroll through the Word Wheel, designed to replicate the serendipity of paging through the print volumes
Please watch our short video introducing the site, and then begin to explore it for yourself by browsing 100 publicly-available sample entries.
¹ galluptious, adj. Old-fash. Excellent, delightful, delicious.
² come-at-able, adj. Accessible, procurable.